Easy Peasy Pear Slaw - a Salad

PEARS - they are so versatile!

They are another food that can be used with both sweet and savoury meals, and can be integrated, like their cousin, the apple, into many salads.

As I had bought far too many pears and no one seemed to be eating them, I decided to try to make a salad with them and after several attempts, this is the final one.

The slight sweetness of the pear, and it was not very ripe, just went so well with the other ingredients I ended up putting in this salad.  You could make up your own dressing, as I tried to make this sort of a "Thai" dressing - this is the term I give many meals that have fish sauce in them!

I also often add things that I grow myself in my garden and chili, coriander, and spring onions, as well as the unstoppable mint, are just some of these.

So, here it is - my version of cold slaw but with the added ingredient of a PEAR, which, incidentally, is also healthy!

The first night I had this with my home made gozleme, and the second I had it with a spicy chicken meal.

Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking time:  no cooking
Makes: 2 servings

Ingredients
A handful of cabbage, finely cut
½ carrot, grated
1 firm pear, cut into strips
About 10 snow peas, cut into strips
½ stalk celery, sliced finely
Chili - optional, sliced finely
1 spring onion, sliced
A few mint leaves
About ¼ cup coriander leaves
For the dressing
About ½ tsp sesame oil
½ tbsp fish sauce
Tiny bit of sugar
1 tbsp mirin or similar
2 tsp lime juice
salt to taste - optional

Instructions
Mix all the prepared vegetables and fruit.


Add the herbs to this, and mix it all together.

Put the dressing ingredients in a screw top jar, or similar, and put the lid on tightly.  Shake the jar till the dressing is thoroughly mixed.

Drizzle this over the salad ingredients just before serving, and mix it in so that the salad is coated.

This is also OK to keep in the fridge for a few days, even WITH the dressing on it.

I served it with a main meal, however you could eat it on it's own in which case this recipe would only be enough for one person - great for those of you who live alone, and want healthy and low fat eating.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

POTATO SALAD WITH PEANUT BUTTER

Pizza Toppings Using Leftovers

Chicken with Walnuts and Hoisin Sauce