Winter Potato Salad

Potato salad is another one of my favourites.

Yes, I know, my lovelies, I have a lot of favourites - probably because I eat to live, and not live to eat!

I tend to make potato salad in the hotter months as it is a cold meal or accompaniment, and have always wanted to try one that would be good for the colder months, and indeed during winter.

This recipe hit all the right buttons, and I was able to have my potato salad in winter!

Potato salad is something that is easy to make as you can put whatever you like in it.  I tend to make the same one over the over in summer, as it is so good, and do not often vary it.  However, that recipe is for another day when it warms up here in Australia!

This is a simple, yet very tasty main meal or serve it as a side to a main meal.  For vegetarians, the bacon could be omitted and a bit of salt added for flavour.  I do not add salt to meals generally if I am putting bacon in them, as bacon has so much salt on it's own.  I also do this with cheese, as most cheeses are also high in salt, and therefore you do not really need any more.  Exceptions to this are noodles with cheese, as they seem to need salt added as well.

Back to the recipe in hand, I have added sweet potato, however it could also be made without this.  Sweet potato is supposedly better for you than potato - less carbs I think, however I prefer ordinary potatoes as I find sweet potato on it's own a little sweet.  I had some sweet potato left over and hence I used it in this recipe!

If you can get the cheese -South Cape brand - it is nicer than the Woolworths one pictured below, however I could not find the South Cape one this time at my supermarket.

This is another easy recipe, and any beginner can be confident in making this meal.

Preparation Time: 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
Makes: 3-4 servings

Ingredients
650g baby potatoes
75 g sweet potatoes
6 pieces short cut bacon (or 4 rashers)
¼ cup peas
¼ cup milk
120 g spring onion & chive cream cheese
If you cannot buy this, just add fresh chives and spring onions, cut finely
Instructions
Boil the potatoes in salted water for about 15 minutes or until just tender.  If using sweet potato add these after a few minutes, as they do not take as long to cook as ordinary potato.

While these are cooking, cut up the bacon into pieces and cook them till they are brown and crisp, or to your liking.

Drain the bacon on paper towel.  Drain the potatoes, cut them in half and put them on plate.

In the same pot as you cooked the potatoes, add the peas, milk and the cream cheese, which has been cut into pieces.

Cook these over a gentle heat without boiling, or until the cheese has melted.

Put the potatoes back in the pot, and gently mix in the sauce.  Turn off the heat.

Add half the bacon, and toss it until all ingredients are well coated.  Season to taste -it should not need much more salt if you are using the bacon, as mentioned above, however do add some pepper.

Serve this warm sprinkled with the rest of the bacon.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

POTATO SALAD WITH PEANUT BUTTER

Pizza Toppings Using Leftovers

Chicken with Walnuts and Hoisin Sauce