Baked Pineapple Rings

I am always on the lookout for things that my grandson likes to eat, as he eats little!

One of the things he likes is pineapple, and as he loves the bought pineapple rings, I decided to make my own as they would then have less sugar and oil.

I baked them instead of deep frying as they do when you buy them, and I always buy these when we get fish and chips.

I have read that fish and chips and Coke Cola are the two most unhealthy foods we can eat, so, much as we love my fish and chips, we only have them every few months, and generally only when my grandson stays the weekend.

He is such a bad eater, however, that he only eats chips - if we order something like Red Rooster, he still only has chips.

So I thought this pineapple idea was a good one.

When buying pineapples, you need to be very careful.  I have found that the ones in the supermarket generally have little taste or are even sour.

I therefore always buy a pineapple from an expensive fruit store, where I know the fruit and vegetables are always top quality, and it is rare that I get anything other than top quality at this shop

However, I usually only buy half a pineapple as a whole one is too much for two people.  So, I was going to make pineapple rings just like in the shops, but my first problem was that I did not have "rings" as I only had half rings!

I decided this did not really matter, and OK, I knew they would not look as nice as if they were full rings, however I decided to try them anyway.

This recipe is so easy and only takes a few minutes to prepare and 20 minutes to cook.

It can be made by any beginner to cooking, as it is one of the easiest things I have ever made.

However, they turned out brilliant, but guess what, my lovelies?

We ate them on our own as my grandson did not like them - probably not sweet enough, or oily enough as they are from our local fish and chips shop!

Preparation Time: 5 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
Serves: About 2 people

Ingredients
½ pineapple
3 - 5 tsp coconut sugar
Cinnamon, to taste
Pinch chili powder or flakes, to taste - optional
Caster sugar, for dusting - optional
Fromage Frais, to serve - optional

Instructions
Cut the pineapple into about 1 centimetre thick half rings. 

Pat them dry with paper towels.

Put the sugar, cinnamon, chili powder into a plastic bag and shake to mix this all up.

Add the pineapple to this and make sure it is coated thoroughly.  Do this by shaking the plastic bag until they are coated, and do them in batches and not all at once.

Line a baking tray with some foil.

Dust the rings with the castor sugar, and bake in a preheated oven at 200°/180° for fan forced ovens, for 20 minutes.

Allow to cool slightly, as the pineapple will be very hot, and add some Fromage Frais, or even thickened cream, or eat as they are.

I also added a bit more cinnamon on the top after I baked the pineapple half rings, as I like a lot of cinnamon.

Delicious as a dessert, a snack or even with a cup of tea or coffee for afternoon tea.  They can also be eaten cold the next day, though I prefer them warm.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

POTATO SALAD WITH PEANUT BUTTER

Pizza Toppings Using Leftovers

Chicken with Walnuts and Hoisin Sauce