Broccoli Salad with Chorizo and Cranberries

Salads are a favourite of mine, my lovelies!  However I do perhaps say many things are my favourites, as I love to eat.

Which reminds me, do you eat to live, or live to eat?  Guess which one I am!

Although this is a salad, I will sometimes have just a salad as my main meal as it is healthy and if you eat enough, quite filling.

In this instance however, I  have eaten it with leftovers I had from my chicken filled with apricots, and the two meals married very well together.

If you want to be really healthy, cut out the chorizo and make it vegetarian!

Chorizo is a Spnash type pork sausage, and is not the healthiest of foods, as it is so processed, however once in a while I think Chorizo is fine, and it IS delicious.

You could also use bacon instead of the Chorizo - well that is just as unhealthy and also very good.  I always use Short Cut bacon as this cut has little fat on it - so you see, even if you do eat bacon, you can buy one that is healthier!

Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 10 minutes
Makes: 2 servings

Ingredients
1 x head broccoli
¼ small red onion
½ cup cranberries
½ cup sunflower seeds
½ large carrot, grated
½ Chorizo, (or 5 pieces short cut bacon)
½ cup egg mayonnaise -good quality
1-2 tbsp white sugar
1 tsp white wine vinegar

Instructions
Cut the broccoli into bite sized pieces and pour some boiling water over it.  This step is optional however I prefer broccoli not quite so crunchy.

Leave it in the water for up to 5 minutes, drain it and allow it to cool.

When it is cool enough, cut it into smaller pieces - make these pieces thin slices and then fry them over a medium heat -you do not need oil if it is a fat-free pan.  Drain and set aside.

Grate the carrot -I bought carrot already grated as I love the way their machine does it matchstick thin and long!

Dice the onion into small pieces and combine in a bowl with cooled broccoli, carrot and Chorizo.

Now add the cranberries, and sunflower seeds.

Mix this up until combined.

Now prepare the dressing by mixing the mayonnaise, sugar and vinegar together until smooth.

Mix this dressing into the salad until the salad is well coated.

Chill if required, or serve at room temperature.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

POTATO SALAD WITH PEANUT BUTTER

Pizza Toppings Using Leftovers

Chicken with Walnuts and Hoisin Sauce