5/2 Diet Low Calorie Vegetarian Egg White Omelette

 Once a week I eat just 500 calories in a day for health reasons.  This is on the 5/2 diet and I do not do it to lose weight.

This is a filling meal you could make and still be within your 500 calories for one of your two fasting days.

I am always on the lookout for ideas for these days as a salad gets a bit boring after a year or so of being on this diet.

This egg white omelette is ideal for this, or if you want an easy, low fat, low calorie meal.  It has approximately 235 calories in the whole meal!

You can add whatever vegetables you like, and I have used what I had left in my fridge.

I used the spinach that I grow in my garden as this climbing type variety is ideal for cooking or eating in a salad.

Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
Makes: 1 omelette

Ingredients
3 large egg whites
A handful of spinach
½ stick celery, chopped fine
½ onion, chopped
25 g Mozzarella cheese (or any tasty cheese)
oil, or spray
10 g parsley, chopped
Bit of soy sauce

Instructions
Fry the onions until they are starting to turn brown, and then add the celery to this.  I like my onions to be quite brown so I do them possibly a minute or two more than most people.

Turn off the heat and add the spinach -this will wilt slightly due to the residual heat in the pan.  Take the vegetables out of this pan, and add a teaspoon of soy sauce.

Whip the egg whites until soft peaks start to form, making sure you get no water in the mixture. (egg whites won't get stiff if there is even a drop of water in them)

Add a bit of oil to the pan (if needed) and spread the egg whites - make them as thin as you can as it will be easier to fold if you do.

Spread the parsley over the egg white, and cook on low for about 5 minutes or until the egg starts to set.

Add the grated cheese to the top of the omelette.

Put the cooked vegetables that you made earlier back on to one side of the omelette.

Now, carefully fold over the other half of the omelette that has no vegetables on it.

It is a bit tricky getting it out, so take your time, and try to slide it out with a large spatula.  You can serve this omelette on it's own as it is a balanced meal.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

POTATO SALAD WITH PEANUT BUTTER

Pizza Toppings Using Leftovers

Chicken with Walnuts and Hoisin Sauce