Potato and Quinoa Salmon Patties

I just love salmon or tuna patties.  I do not however like bought ones generally, as they usually have too much potato in them.

I often make these little morsels of goodness as they are easy to make, always turn out, and can be teamed with just about any other food.

I have read a lot about quinoa over the last few years, and quite honestly, do not really believe in all these new super foods which seem to be popping up almost every month!  There are just so many, and I feel a lot of them are "gimmicky", and while they may well be healthy, they are not the "be all and end all" which the media seem to turn them into.

Nor do I believe in all the different diets - the only diet I have gone on is eating less quantity at each meal, cutting out in between snacks, and the 5/2 diet.  This one I did, not to lose weight, but for the other healthy benefits, as I have mentioned before in my recipes.

So, back to quinoa - I bought a packet as I wanted to see what it tastes like, and it has little taste on it's own.  I then decided to add some to my salmon patties instead of just a bit of potato, and I was surprised at how good these salmon patties were.

I had used quinoa before but cannot tell the difference between the several colours that are available - they all seem to taste the same to me.

This is another good way to get to use quinoa in a cooked recipe.

Salmon speaks for itself - it is a very healthy food being high and rich in Omega 3 fatty acids, which we all supposedly need!

The two ingredients combined with the potato make a very nice patty.

This time, I have served the patties with leftovers from my rice paper roll recipe.

The nice thing about salmon or tuna patties is that you can have them either hot or cold, they are great in lunch boxes, and I often have them for days afterwards on sandwiches, which is also a nice lunch.  Add a bit of tomato sauce, to make the sandwich even better.

So, here is my recipe for potato and quinoa salmon patties - easy to make and delicious to eat!

Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 25 minutes
Makes: 3 servings

Ingredients
½ cup quinoa -any colour
210 g tin pink salmon
½ onion, chopped
2 small potatoes, chopped
1 tbsp cornflour
1 egg
bit of thyme
3 sprigs of parsley, finely chopped
oil

Instructions
Rinse the quinoa thoroughly, and cover it with water.  Add the chopped potatoes and a bit more water and bring to the boil on high.

When boiling, turn heat down, cover and boil for about 15 minutes or until potatoes are done.  Drain if there is water left.  The quinoa will get little "tails" as they cook, which is normal!

Mix the salmon, onion, cornflour, egg, thyme, and parsley in a bowl.

Mash the potato and add it and the quinoa to the mixture.

Mix all this thoroughly, using your hands for preference.

Make into about 10-15 balls, and flatten on a plate.

Place in the freezer for about 10 minutes.

Put a bit of oil in a large pan, and fry the patties.

Cook them for about 2-3 minutes on each side, using quite a high heat.

Put them on a paper towel for a minute or two to drain the oil from them.

Serve with baked red potatoes or left-overs, as I did.  Also great with any sort of salad, or baked vegetables.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

POTATO SALAD WITH PEANUT BUTTER

Pizza Toppings Using Leftovers

Chicken with Walnuts and Hoisin Sauce